The Cathedral, founded in 1122 and battered by centuries of Border warfare, was built for the glory of God, and services have been said and sung daily in it for nearly 900 years.
Items of special interest include the East Window, with its tracery containing some very fine 14thC stained glass and the Brougham Triptych, a magnificent 16thC carved Flemish altar-piece in St Wilfrid's Chapel. There is an interesting 14thC barrel vaulted painted ceiling above the choir stalls and in the north and south aisles medieval paintings depict the Life of St Augustine, the Legends of St Cuthbert and St Anthony and the figures of the twelve apostles. The carved capitals of the columns in the Choir represent activities associated with the months of the year and the early 15thC choir stalls and misericords are notable examples of medieval carving. The Cathedral's stained glass dates from the 14th to the late 20thC.
The Treasury contains a fine display of Cathedral and Diocesan silver and treasures, illustrating the story of Christians in Cumbria through the centuries
Donation suggested £5.00 per adult. Tours £3.55 ordinary or £4.65 special interest (plus VAT) per head.
|Season Dates||Opening Hours|
|Notes||Times given when the building is open. There may be some restrictions on visitor movement during service times.|
ContactWendy Murrell or Head Verger
The Abbey, Carlisle, CA3 8TZ
Map reference: NY 399559 Lat: 54.89419 Long: -2.93856
From M6 jct 43 then follow signs to city centre car parks. Street signs direct visitors to the Cathedral in the city centre.
Accessible by Public Transport : 1 mile (1.6 kms) from Carlisle station
Disabled access to most of the cathedral, shop and treasury. No current disabled access to restaurant or conference facilities. Accesible toilet in the grounds.
Also at this venue
Events at this venue
|Sat 14 Sep 2013||An Evening with Tony Campolo|